The British Railways Modernisation Plan of the 1950s identified a need for a powerful
1,500-2,000hp diesel, designated Type 3. The English Electric company's design was
commissioned and the first examples built in 1959. Later renumbered as the Class 37, the
type became a jack-of-all-trades, seen hauling everything from heavy freight to express
passenger services and over 300 were built. Nicknamed 'tractors' for their noisy engines,
a few are still in service on the British railway network despite their age, though most
have now retired.
D6964 was built at the Vulcan Foundry in Newton-le-Willows in 1965, becoming 37264 in 1974,
and served in South Yorkshire and East Anglia before transferring to Cardiff in 1988 and
finishing her almost 35-year career there in 1999.
37264 arrived at the NYMR in 2010 and has been in regular use since. She is currently
painted in the 1980s Large Logo blue livery.